AKORN NATURAL™ COATINGS FOR AVOCADO
Akorn Natural™ coatings are the first true innovation in coatings for avocados in decades. They are developed specifically for packers who want to extend the time from harvest to consumption without compromise to the quality of their produce, and are very effective for Hass and many other avocado varieties.
Akorn Natural™ coatings are made with 100% natural food ingredients. They do not contain any corrosive chemicals or petroleum products. The highly innovative formulations include four active ingredients:
- a plant-derived wax to minimize moisture loss
- a vegetable protein to reduce ripening speed and maintain firmness
- a vegetable oil to delay color development
- a combination of plant-derived essential oils to disrupt the propagation of fungi and increase antioxidant activity
Akorn Natural™ coatings are water-based and can be applied even on partially wet fruit. They can be applied either by spraying as a drop-in replacement for existing waxes or dipping. They dry rapidly through heated or non-heated tunnels. They leave no sticky residues and can be easily cleaned up with water.
Avocados coated with Akorn Natural™ coatings exhibit 35% lower weight loss, 30% higher firmness, and 40% slower skin color development compared to untreated fruit after 45 days under refrigeration conditions (8ºC) and 6 days under ambient conditions based on commercial results and independent university research.
Akorn Natural ™ coatings for avocado help you grow your business
- Realize Supply Chain Savings
- Improve Post-Harvest Recovery
- Expand Your Market